So, you remember how I said in my last post that I had on done one skein/ hank of thread? Well that wasn't completely truthful. It was the only full skein. (over 50 yards) I did however do this small one (I don't know the exact length, but it is much smaller than the other.) Anyway, I haven't had the heart to undo the other one. It's so pretty and hanging on the wall right now. I did however want to see all the colors were going to look worked up. I think it's really pretty don't you?
And then I tore off like a 1.5" piece of cardboard and wrapped some thread around it before I started dyeing stuff and this what I produced:
I actually really like how it turned out. It actually has a "tie dye" kind of look to it. I felt like I was tatting dangerously lol As you can probably see, I didn't see any point of taking the thread off the cardboard to start tatting. I think it will be very interesting to see if the shades get lighter as I progress through this sample. Also, I didn't do a very good job at dyeing this evenly, so the top portion had more red which is why the first little medallion I did has more red speckles than the second. I will definitely be trying this method more... maybe with just 2 colors instead of 3 though :o)
BTW These were all done with either DMC size 80 tatting thread OR some white vintage thread that I had bought off etsy.